Thursday, December 20, 2018

Why I don’t photograph everything.

With my last post, one might think that I should take pictures of everything at all times.

But that is not true.

I photograph to encapsulate a moment. To keep it in a vivid and ‘correct’ way.

But sometimes I feel selfish.

Not that I don’t want to remember a moment, but that I want to be the only one to remember it.

I alone will know how I felt.
How the lighting was.
Who was there. Or not there.
What was happening.

I alone get to tell this story.
When someone asks.
And I choose to tell it.

I am able to fill in whatever details I chose to tell. You don’t get to know about it unless I choose to let you in and share with you a special moment that hardly anyone else does.

So I am selfish. Or one could say private in that sense.

But I do believe that some moments are better lived and remembered by one’s mind than by a photograph. I think it makes it more special. More private. And all the more important to me.


Because that is the fatal flaw of photography.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but a moment makes you speechless.

No comments:

Post a Comment